Our History

Our Colteryahn Dairy Heritage

lteryahn Dairy, the oldest dairy in Pittsburgh was steeped in a long, rich history from the 1870's when the founder, William Colteryahn arrived in Pittsburgh with his family from Hamburg, Germany.

At the time the dairy was established in 1893, milk was being received from farmers by train and was distributed over the area in large containers on wagons. Housewives would come to the wagon with their kettles and pans to purchase the milk.

In 1917, William's son, Carl opened the Colteryahn Dairy on its present site on Brownsville Road in Carrick, Pennsylvania. For many years, home delivery was the main business activity. As Divco milk trucks replaced the horse and wagon, the business quickly expanded to selling fresh milk to retail markets while continuing to deliver to homes throughout the area.

In the 1960's, Carl Jr. had the foresight to enter into the convenience store business as the consumer demand for quick trip convenience purchases began. In 1962, through the franchise arrangement with Stop-N-Go Food Stores, the first convenience store was opened on South Park Road in Bethel Park, and remains open today.

In 1986, the Stop-N-Go franchise was dropped and the chain's name was changed to CoGo's.

In 1988, Carl Jr. and Carl III completed a three year, five million dollar plant and cooler expansion project. This state-of-the-art facility was featured as the 1998 Plant of the Year by Dairy Foods Magazine in the 2001 issue.

In 2003, because of the Colteryahn families strong commitment to community and expansion, the City of Pittsburgh issued a Proclamation and declared June 20 Colteryahn Dairy Day.

Old lteryahn Dairy Truck
Old lteryahn Dairy Truck

Focused on Your Convenience

In 1962, Carl A Colteryahn and Carl A Colteryahn, Jr. founded our company as one of the first convenience store franchises under the "Stop-N-Go" name. This particular regional Stop-N-Go franchise was referred to as "Stop-N-Go, Pittsburgh". We opened our first store on South Park Road near Brightwood Road in Bethel Park, Allegheny County, Pennsylvania. We still operate it today.

The convenience business was developed primarily to provide a "direct" retail outlet for Colteryahn Dairy's diverse milk and juice/drink products. Colteryahn Dairy, which was located in Carrick.

A New Name, Same Great Service 
"Stop-N-Go, Pittsburgh" operated convenience stores in the greater Pittsburgh area until a name change in 1986. At that time, Carl A Colteryahn, Jr., President and Chief Executive Officer, decided to become independent and end the relationship with Stop-N-Go. In July, 1986, he introduced the CoGo's trademark name company-wide. In August of 2000, CoGo's Co. acquired Stop N' Go Food Stores of Western Pa., a group of 20 stores that were privately owned by the Taylor family.

New Offerings 
Starting in 1993, CoGo's expanded its offering at many locations to include gasoline sales. We continue to pursue the best offerings for our customers, and now are adding more prepared food and deli services to some locations.

In 1986, the Stop-N-Go franchise was dropped and the chain's name was changed to CoGo's.

Your Neighborhood Store 
From that first store in the South Hills of Pittsburgh, CoGo's Co. has grown to operate 42 stores in western and central Pennsylvania, West Virginia and Maryland, employing approximately 475 individuals. CoGo's Co. franchisees operate an additional 13 stores throughout Western Pennsylvania.

Horse drawn dairy truck
Old lteryahn Dairy Truck

lottery results

CHECK YOUR NUMBERS

DEAL ALERT

SIGN UP

sign up
sign up